Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Diva Challenge 95 - Mickey

This weeks challenge comes from  guest poster Courtney Frantz.  

Courtney writes . . .
On November 18, 1928 the Walt Disney Studio released the animated short film, "Steamboat Willie". This was the official debut of Mickey Mouse as well as his girlfriend, Minnie.  Since Mickey has been touted as one of the world's most popular cartoon characters and noting that his debut was in a black and white film, I feel it is only fitting that we use our black and white Zentangle art to pay tribute to Mickey, Minnie and/or Walt Disney.


I've spent the last couple of weeks working to complete a few of the woodburned Zentangle Nameplates - one gift and two special orders.  It's a good thing I enjoy making them since I've had a couple more folks request them.  It's also been fun exploring different font sites to find new and interesting fonts to use. During one font search I came across a Walt Disney font - wasn't sure I could make it work for a nameplate but I really liked the look so went ahead and installed it.

Had to laugh when I read this week's challenge - who knew I'd have a chance to use the font so soon!  First thought was to tangle the initial "M" - that would be too easy and if there's a way to make things more complex I can usually find it!  Since I'm still in nameplate mode why stop now?!


Diva Challenge 95  - Mickey

Tangles - Meer, Inapod, Cruffle, Knase, Ennies, Yale, Mickey

click any image for larger view

Here are the 3 woodburned namplates.  Have not found the best settings for scanning them or for photos - need to work on that another day.  I'm still experimenting with the nameplate projects - mostly not sure how dense or sparse to make the tangle patterns.  One way the names are very prominent the other they meld into the overall piece.  Not sure which I like better - then again it's not so much what I like, it's what the customer likes.  If you have a preference or other thoughts please leave  a comment to let me know.  The concept is definitely a work in progress.













12 comments:

Unknown said...

love your mickey and the nameplates are fantastic!

Dianne said...

I like all three nameplates. I prefer having the name stand out as in the top and bottom ones. I like the balance of light and dark in those. What appeals to me about the first one is that your strings mostly go in the opposite direction of the name. That seems to help the name stand out and still showcase the beauty of the tangles.

ledenzer said...

The border with the new pattern and Mickey in highlights! I love how you responded to this challenge. I love nameplates!

Sue Sharp said...

Wonderful! Love the idea of nameplates done in Zentangle - and woodburning them is so neat!

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Wow! Great answer to the current challenge, and the woodburning is so delicate and so beautiful! That must be very labor intensive. The top and bottom are my favorites, but I can't tell why??

Claire Warner said...

The nameplates are wonderful, and I love your Mickey challenge. Fantastic!

Susan said...

You figured out the M's as a border. Fantastic!. Really love your Mickey nameplate.

tanglewithlinda.wordpress.com said...

Your name tag is great! Great idea to tangle the letters of his name. It looks like a vanity license plate. Your wood burned plaques are gorgeous. I should dig my set out; I haven't used it in years; it really looks wonderful with burned tangles.

Mimi Lawrence said...

Love the name plates. I have always loved to make personalized items as gifts. What font did you use to spell the names? It looks like some chipboard letters I bought recently. I really enjoy seeing all the creative things you do with Zentangle. Keep up the good work.

Ronnie said...

Your Mickey plate is great!! Very nicely done. My thoughts on your other plates -- they're all really beautiful. I think that tangles with a lot of black close to the name interfers with reading the name. It is still very nice, but the ones with less black close to the lettering seem make the name stand out.

Anonymous said...

Love your use of the Mickey tangle as your border...it looks great. Also like your translation of Zentangle for woodburning. Great Job!
Courtney Frantz

Alice said...

these nameplates are wonderful!

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated on older posts so comments will not appear immediately.